- Villanova University, JD, 1981
- University of Michigan, BA with high distinction, 1977
- James B. Angell Scholar, 1977
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan, 1982
- Ohio, 1991
- Member/Board of Directors
- t: 248.746.2715
- f: 248.746.2785
John M. Toth has more than 37 years of experience in the defense of medical, podiatric and dental malpractice claims. During his professional career, John has successfully tried over 100 cases to a jury verdict.
John’s practice focuses on defending matters in litigation involving the professional liability of physicians, podiatrists, dentists and hospitals. He also handles ski area/premise liability matters and he is a member of the Association of Ski Defense Attorneys.
John has been consecutively appointed since 1995 by Michigan State Bar Presidents to serve as a Member of the Standing Committee on Character and Fitness, and he has been a Vice-Chair of the Committee since 2003.
He has received the highest attorney rating from Martindale-Hubbell since 1996 and, beginning in 2009, he has been designated as a “Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters, an honor reserved for the top 5% of attorneys in each state. From 2008 to the present, John has been selected by his peers for inclusion in Dbusiness Magazine as a “Top Lawyer,” along with being recognized in the New York Times “Top Attorneys in Michigan.” From 2011 to the present, he has also been named in Best Lawyers in America® (Woodward/White, Inc.), in the field of Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants. In 2016, John was elected to the American Board of Trial Attorneys with an advocate designation and, in 2017, he was named to America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators for Michigan.
- Medical Protective Insurance Company
- Podiatry Insurance Company of America
- Safeco Special Risk, Inc.
- OneBeacon Insurance Group
- Tenet Health Systems
- OMS National Insurance Company, RRG
- Fortress Insurance Company
- Henry Ford Health System
- Beaumont Health
News & Insights
- EIGHT SULLIVAN, WARD, ASHER & PATTON, P.C. LAWYERS RECOGNIZED IN THE 2019 EDITION OF THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA©Southfield MIAugust 15, 2018
- Southfield, MIFebruary 2018
- CONGRATULATIONS TO JOHN TOTH FOR BEING SELECTED AMONG AMERICA'S TOP 100 HIGH STAKES LITIGATORS FOR 2017December 2017
- EIGHT SULLIVAN, WARD, ASHER & PATTON, P.C. LAWYERS RECOGNIZED IN THE 2018 EDITION OF THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA©Southfield, Ml, USA –November, 2017
- CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TWENTY-FIVE SULLIVAN WARD ASHER & PATTON ATTORNEYS THAT ARE LISTED IN THE LEADING LAWYERS MAGAZINE, MICHIGAN EDITIONJuly 2017
- Southfield MI, November 15, 2016
- FOUR SULLIVAN, WARD, ASHER & PATTON, P.C. ATTORNEYS NAMED TO DBUSINESS MAGAZINE’S 2017 TOP LAWYERS IN METRO DETROITNovember 8, 2016
- John Toth and Robert Hoard Receive a Wayne County No Cause Jury Verdict in a Medical Malpractice Case Involving a Surgical Fixation of a FractureJanuary 2016
- MACOMB COUNTY JURY RETURNS A UNANIMOUS NO CAUSE VERDICT IN DENTAL MALPRACTICE CASE TRIED BY JOHN TOTHNovember 2015
Professional & Community Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Association of Ski Defense Attorneys